Skip to main content

To knit or not to knit

I've wanted to learn to knit for a while now. More than just casting on. I learned how to crochet by my mom when I was 13 (1993) . I wanted to make a blanket for my first nephew who was due in March of 1994.  My mom made one for me when I was born so she seemed like a good enough teacher... I did not have the patience for crocheting . My tension was too tight and I gave up in a few months. never finishing or coming close to making that blanket.
Me at one with the blanket my mom made me. 
In the fall of 2011, Months after my mom passed of brain cancer I picked up loom knitting. Seemed easy and fun... and boy was it.  A year after, I picked up my hook again , The same one my mom taught me with and I instantly felling love .  I wish my mom was still here to see what I've made. She of course would be asking me to make a bunch of stuff for her..hehe and I would be happy to make it.

I see knitting as a huge challenge. I've tried it before and like learning to crochet for the first time at 13,  I didn't have the patience. Casting on was a breeze and I could do it all day but it wouldn't get me anywhere. I'd just have a really long chain.



One of the things I wanted to accomplish this year was to learn to knit. But I need a project .  I saw this Totoro graph in a ravelry group I am in . I can easily use it for a crochet project but I like the way it looks knitted.

I want to learn and I will accomplish something in the next few months. Like I need more projects! But I set my mind to it and it WILL get done :)

I hope you will follow my possibly short journey and if you are a knitter , share some tricks and tips.

More later,

Comments

  1. I just came across your post on Ravelry. I am a knitter who learned to crochet. I found it really difficult but stuck with it and can now crochet to a reasonable level. The big advantage of crochet is that it is quicker than knitting. So I understand your frustration. A crocheter who is learning to knit has to get used to the slow progress that comes with knitting anything. Despite this, I think I still prefer knitting and the huge variety of stitches that can be learned. Good luck with it all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by!

Popular posts from this blog

my official list for YOP 3!

I am about a month and a half late but here is my list. I am calling it "get out of my queue Year of Projects" . its a long list but its categorized nicely :) items for me beaded bag maxi shrug windmill bag st. tropez butterfly sleeve top spiderweb skirt turtleneck shrug Jamie visor hat for Jon (the boyfriend) Mario granny square blanket shuffle slippers Christmas woolly toons stockings crochet cable stocking Christmas Stocking( hexagon and diamond) santa pet sweater snowman ring ornament Christmas slippers Halos of Hope NE caps favorite beanie for a lady envy shell stitch hat the lizzy hat brain waves beanie Crochet Hook Challenge Linked Headband ( D hook) Malou Scarf and Toddler princess crown ( E hook) infant bunny slippers (F hook) Santa Stocking (G hook) Diamond Hat (H hook) Granny Square Christmas Stocking (I hook) DROPS circle jacket (J hook)

YOP5 week 34

Motivation to finish my list is highly needed!! My hook challenge isn't doing too well. All those projects are holiday related and I've missed a few. Its silly to make Christmas items a few weeks before St, Patrick's day . But I did FINISH something thing week!! Guess how many skeins it took to finish this blanket? 

YOP year 5? Seriously?

I can't believe it's year 5 already....... this is my 3rd year participating. The last few days have been productive for me .I made a schedule for the next few months so I stay on track. I STARTED and  FINISHED the Zero lovey that was part of my hook challenge. It will be given to my cousin Ryder ( I really like that name ) due in October. I played with the pictures a little in editing. Its something different. ****** I got on the C2C bandwagon and started a few of my own. It is so addicting!! I love this!  I ran out of yarn for this one........ so I started this one. ( full skein not pictured)  ****** Also, I "dusted off" the Boston Bruin Blanket squares and started sewing them together. Its a bit tricking as you can see.... Why do I punish myself.. hehe my full project list can be found here .